Hula hooping is not just something to do, it is something to think.
I found myself sitting in a lecture the other day and when my mind began to wander I began thinking about hula hooping moves. While hula hoop dancing is a very physical excercise, it also requires mental focus and attention. When I am consciously thinking about my next move in a planned sequence I can do the moves with a better flow. Making mistakes requires quick recovery that is not always instinctual, but thoughtful. This practice is helping me to become more in tune with my body and mind. So often in modern society the focus is on using our mind and supressing all animal movement. Hoop dancing allows me to explore my inner animal and intellectualize my movements.
Right now I am working on a few new moves I picked up from my lovely Youtube mentors; leg hoop reversals, vertical chest hooping transition to off the shoulder and back to chest, the tornado, fall up and down, horizontal pass around one leg, and vertical elbow hooping. I try and practice each of these when during my 30 min hoop dancing sessions. I dance at least 3 times a week if not more, and now that it is the rainy season I dance in side rather than at the park.
More inspirational videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVwxinvRZA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNMJK0zBhbA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSo_qRBHNPY&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=HQikQja7zrU
No comments:
Post a Comment